""

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Thoughts on Life

Ever feel like your blog is boring and you have nothing interesting to say? I am currently in just such a slump. There are lots of things I could write about but due to the fear I have of having my words misinterpreted I shall remain quiet. Then there are things I know I should write about but don't know how to put them in blog language, meaning I don't know how to relay what I mean and don't want the content to be offensive. There are many disjointed thoughts floating around in my brain, some of them I have even attempted to write about but deleted it all before I posted anything.
   One of the topics I feel led to write about is depression. On Friday during the three hour drive down to MD. I listened to a Focus On The Family program about depression. It has been almost ten years since I got an up close and personal view with postpartum depression. It isn't something I dwell on but I have gained a respect for my emotional health. When something is always in good working order you tend to feel it will always be that way. Have something break or go wrong and you will be on the look out for signs and symptoms of things beginning to malfunction. There were days I thought I would never be healthy again. Dean and I spent hours upon hours talking. Going over the same thing time and time again until eventually I began to believe that there is hope that I will  overcome. While I would never wish for anyone to go through depression, God has brought good from that tough situation. Our marriage has grown deeper and we both have a greater sympathy for those going through tough times. We also learned a great deal on how the mind works and have had the opportunity to encourage others who  are going through similar struggles.
   If someone you know is struggling with depression here are a few tips:
- validate their pain, do not tell them it is all in their head (even though it might very well be so)
- encourage them to seek Christian counselling
-check in with them, ask how their day is going and if there is something specific you should pray about
- tell them it will get better, even though things may feel hopeless  at the moment
- assure them God hears their prayers and He will also hear their internal pain even if they have no words to describe it
- get them the phone numbers of places to call for help or make the appointment for them. Drive them there if necessary.
- offer a listening ear and promise to pray

I am so grateful I had people who could walk me through the steps to healing, people who had walked the same path and had proof that there is hope of a brighter tomorrow.

As a family we are enjoying Bradens latest home visit and look forward to having him home to stay. On Tuesday we will be celebrating his 7th birthday. Children grow so quickly!
         
Braden built this Lego car Friday evening and has played with it ever since


Braden and I. He is truly a changed boy!


Our three 6 year olds!


Kiana and Joseph


Dean and Braden flying the helicopter


Dean helped Tristan make a frame for the puzzle he got from his teacher









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!