""

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Play Dough Recipe

I think winter is here! Brr. Joseph is outside playing inspite of the cold. He is building a rock wall in the woods. He is getting fresh air, exercise and using his muscles all things that he needs. He comes in to check on me periodically. In many ways he is still in the preschool age range emotionally. It is helpful to have a 3 year old to help in gauging what is normal preschool behavior. 
How do you keep your children occupied during Christmas vacation? Tristan is spending the day with his uncle, which is very helpful. He seems to think housework is below his status level. I had him doing some cleaning the other day and he was less than impressed. He thought I was just thinking up work for him because he never see's me doing the jobs I assigned to him. By the way, those jobs were things like sweeping the basement and cleaning out some corners. Disclaimer: I do sweep my basement and clean. I usually do it during school hours so he doesn't see me.
   I saw a recipe for Crayon Play Dough on FB. It was just the thing for the three little people! Best of all, the recipe was really simple and I had all the ingredients.





This little lady is quite impulsive. I always pictured impulsiveness as something that small children are plagued with. I imagined them grabbing toys and getting into all kinds of mischief because they didn't stop to think. In a sense that is how all small children are so I didn't think it would be so difficult. Hah! I now understand why it is a problem. Kiana is constantly acting before she thinks and the older she gets the more inappropriate and problematic it becomes. I would like to give her something natural to help with impulse control but when I began researching it, I found so many pro's and con's I decided to ask people what they give their children. She is on medication which helps a lot but because of her history I really want to get her off of it. 

Here is the recipe for the play dough:

CRAYON PLAYDOUGH
         1 Tablespoon oil
              2.5 broken crayons 
 1 cup water
    1.5 cups flour
                            1 Tablespoon cream of tarter
          3/4 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Heat oil in a kettle, add broken crayons. Slowly add water, stir until crayons are dissolved. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Dump onto a heat proof surface and knead until smooth. 

*If you have glitter crayons, they make awesome glittery play dough.

I adapted this recipe from one I found here.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!