""

Saturday, October 17, 2015

It's Been A Long Journey But I've Been Blessed

     Recently we have been encouraging the children to "think about good things" rather than dwell on the negative as they are prone to do. They get "stuck" in trauma mode where they reanalyze their pain and react accordingly. One day I struck upon the bright idea of giving them a good memory in exchange for their bad memories. When one of them is upset about XYZ, I remind them of something good that happened while they were with that person. When they fall back into the rut of anger, self pity or sadness I simply ask, are your remembering the good things or the bad things? They get a sheepish look and I try to take the time to hear them out, discuss their feelings and remind them why it is better to dwell on the good memories.

   This week the children dug out an old CD I have of the Mullet family. They fell in love with the childrens songs on it and God used the same songs to speak to me. The song that goes: "Your walk talks louder than your talk talks." Was a good reminder for me to practice what I preach. This week had it's stressful moments and I had many opportunities to dwell on my blessings instead of my troubles. Another song goes like this: "It's Been A Long Journey, But I've Been Blessed." I cannot help but agree, the last years have been long and tough at times but I AM BLESSED!

...with friends who care. We have been blessed with a meal, two bouquets of flowers and some delicious chocolate and peanut butter popcorn that Dean and I enjoyed in the midst of a stressful day. It was the perfect comfort food!

... a doctor who refilled a prescription for Joseph without asking to see him, thus saving me another appointment.

... Beautiful fall leaves and beautiful autumn days perfect for walking with a friend.

... Dedicated teachers who go out of their way to accommodate each child's individual needs

Pumpkin whoopie pies w/brown butter icing

Lia and I went to a fabric store after dropping the children off at school only to find it didn't open for another half hour, so we got breakfast sandwiches and hash browns.

My lovely daughter Kiana

flowers from a friend

flowers from another friend


Cinnamon rolls. I tried a new recipe. You freeze the unbaked rolls, remove them from the oven 30 minutes before placing them in the oven at 350 degrees for app. 20 minutes. I frosted them with the brown butter icing I had left over from making whoopie pies. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!