""

Friday, November 13, 2015

Hard Days With FASD

On Sunday we went for a walk on the Horseshoe Trail which cuts through our woods. It was a beautiful day for a hike.




Joseph trudging along, it was tough going for him. Walking on uneven surfaces requires a great deal of balancing skills, something he struggles with. His OT is making a difference though, he seldom complained that his legs hurt or asked to go home.

Joseph is finding it difficult to cope with the social and emotional demands life has thrown his way. We are taking steps so that he will be better able to cope with the demands of life. However good things take time so until everything falls into place we do all we can to help him and try to keep the tantrums to a dull roar.

Over the weekend his eczema got really bad. It was worse than it has ever been, his steroid cream didn't begin to touch it. So I called his doctor who called in a prescription for medication. He has been on it for 4 days now and his eczema is definitely improving but until we find ways to make life less stressful, he will continue to break out. The dermatologist was asking all kinds of questions, trying to figure out what brought on the outbreak. I explained that stress brings on the eczema (for the umpteenth time) so the doctor advised me to take him to his pediatrician and get him on anti anxiety medication. I told him that school isn't going well for Joseph, due to his FASD and while anti anxiety meds may alleviate the symptoms and they may be necessary someday, for now we need to work on lowering stress at school. I know I could home school and I may end up doing that but it is good for Joseph and I to get some time apart. 

FASD is so hard for both the parents and the child. Joseph tries to please us but he simply doesn't understand relationships. He may throw an hour long tantrum and I try all my tricks to pull him out of it without success. As suddenly as the tantrum began it is over and he "loves me like a 
 year old," and I say that with all due respect. He wants me to cuddle and rock him while he tells me how much he loves me. It took a lot of practice to be able to flip my internal switch and be the emotionally strong mom he needs in any given moment. His adoration is what keeps us going when things are tough. In his good moments we are the best parents and in his bad moments.....
Yesterday in the middle of a tantrum he said, "Mom, if you would just learn to obey me....!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!