""

Friday, December 11, 2015

New Treatment For Eczema

     One of the most frustrating parts of parenting a child with special needs is the paperwork. Scheduling appointments, making sure you have the right papers for the right doctor as well as a host of previous test results can give me a head ache. Someone wisely told me to buy a ring binder and keep all pertinent papers in plastic sleeves inside the binder. I am so glad I did. I have my phone numbers, immunization records, birth records, any and all evaluations, everything goes into that binder and I grab it whenever I take Joseph to an appointment. It will also provide a paper trail if the time were to come that we need one.
   The most frustrating part of all is dealing with insurance companies. I despise "arguing" with them over my child's treatment and whether or not we need a referral and if so, from who and when. Anyone want a job?
   On a brighter note, I had Joseph at the dermatologist in preparation for an upcoming evaluation. His eczema is being very stubborn and refusing to clear up and I wanted proof that we are under a doctors care. Am I paranoid? Perhaps, but anyway, the doctor told me that there is a new theory/treatment that dermatologists are recommending for eczema...bleach baths. They have discovered that children with eczema, who swim in pools over the summer often have healthier skin (or lack of eczema). He said this treatment works for about 75% of patients, so guess what we are going to be doing? I will let you know how it pans out.
   When the doctor left the room Joseph turned to me and said, "That man told us to try things before and nothing ever works, this probably won't either!" Poor boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!