""

Saturday, February 20, 2016

When We Ask God For Patience And He Gives Trials Instead

     After I wrote yesterdays post I was listening to a radio program and what I heard felt like God was prodding me, giving me a reminder. In my own words this is what I heard, "Patience, we ask God for it, desire for Him to pour it upon us, to give it to us a gift of sorts, if you will. But God usually doesn't answer our prayer by filling us with patience. He often leads us through hard times and let's us earn patience because like most things, we will value it much more if we have to earn it."
      The speaker then gave the illustration of someone learning to water ski, again my own words, "You are in your living room with your new ski's and an instruction manual. Even though you follow the instructions, you will have a difficult time learning to ski because you are missing the key ingredient, water. Learning patience is similar. We have an instruction book and we know what we wish to attain, but without trial's, we will have a difficult time learning patience."
     I was wishing, praying for a quick fix for Johnny's heart, but these words made me realize that both Johnny and I may learn more if we have to struggle to build a relationship. Our relationship will be stronger and more secure if we struggle to bond.
          

    The same concept goes for feeling near to God. I long to have a close relationship with Him but unless, I come to the place where I realize that I am helpless and circumstances are beyond my control, I will find it difficult to acquire the trust I need to give my life, everything that I call "mine" over to Him. How do we come to the bottom of ourselves? By being in situations beyond our control, something many of us call a trial.

   My Brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into diverse temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
                                  James 1:1&2
Picture







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!