""

Friday, September 19, 2014

Sleep Update

I know it has only been a few days since I asked for advice on making our school mornings go smoother but things are already going better! Don't know if it is due to the fact that we are using TBRI or  the earlier bedtime but whatever it is, we are thankful. A doctor told me that children who struggle with the things Joseph struggles with (not officially diagnosed so I won't go into detail but there is little doubt in anyone's mind) need at least 10-12 hours of sleep a night. Children with that diagnosis tend to have their sleep patterns messed up so that they appear to be getting a good nights rest but really aren't.  He was getting a good 10 plus hours which I thought was plenty, however since he has been getting 12 hours he has not been having nearly as many melt downs. At first he wasn't so impressed about the early bedtime but each night it gets easier and he knows he is feeling better. Makes me feel like a bad mom. I hated to send him to bed early so I took the easy way out and left him play. However it is so worth it to have a happier more rational little guy. One mom suggested putting my first graders to bed fifteen minutes earlier each night until we find how much sleep each of them needs. Joseph asked how long I am going to do this. I told him when he isn't so sleepy mornings we will know he is getting all the sleep he needs. He said that probably won't happen till he is in fourth grade! Miss Kiana has been going to bed earlier too and is much more reasonable mornings. Next week is my turn to drive school van which means earlier mornings so maybe I shouldn't be claiming success yet. An earlier bedtime for the little people also means Dean and I have a few extra minutes to talk without ears stretching to hear what we are saying. :)


Flowers from our church family. We feel so blessed to have a church that supports and blesses adoption.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!