""

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happy Fall Ya'll

Yesterday felt so much like autumn that I couldn't resist making my house look n smell like fall. First I cleaned the children's bedrooms. Before I started I was thinking house cleaning but till I hit the halfway point I decided to forget it and just do a through cleaning instead.

Lia helped me do some baking. She wanted to taste everything I put in the bowel, including the flour. I told her it won't taste very good. Her response was to stick her finger in it and say, "It is so good, mom!"

Lia found a cup from her tea set and used it to taste test the brown sugar

Licking the beaters 

The finished product: Cinnamon Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (recipe below)


Yes, the edges are sagging  and the center settled causing the glaze to puddle in the middle



Lia wanted me to take a picture of her beside the cake so I obliged. By the way, she is headed for her bed which is why she has that nuk in her mouth. I never thought one of my children would have their nuk at her age but that was before I knew about loss trauma and bonding. I promise she won't have it when she goes to school. :)

I got my fall decorations out, such as they are. When it is cold outside I like to burn candles, makes the house feel cosier

CINNAMON APPLE CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
    Cake
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • Cream Cheese Filling
  • 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 apple, peeled and sliced

  • Crumb Topping
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

  • Cinnamon Glaze
  • 1/2 c. powered sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
  1. Adjust oven rack to the lower third position in oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8-9 in springform pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
  2. To make the crumb topping combine brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. In a large mixing bowl combine egg and butter on medium speed. Add the milk and 2 vanilla extract and beat until mixed. Set aside.
  4. In a different mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Turn mixer on low and add to the wet ingredients slowly. Mix until just combined. Pour into prepared springform pan.
  5. In a medium size mixing bowl beat cream cheese on high until smooth. Mix in vanilla, sugar and cinnamon until combined. Spread over the cake batter. Layer with sliced apples. Top with crumb topping, gently pressing into the batter.
  6. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick is inserted in the center of cake and it comes out free of cake crumbs, remember the cream cheese mixture will stick to toothpick. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing pan sides and glazing with cinnamon glaze.
  7. For the glaze whisk together powdered sugar, milk and cinnamon. It should be just thin enough to drizzle. I added a little more sugar and milk because I like plenty of glaze.
\

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!