""

Friday, October 21, 2016

Happy Birthday Kiana

Happy 9th Birthday Kiana!!!!

    Yesterday was Kiana's 9th birthday. She said, "I waited sooooo long for this day to come and it is finally here!" Last night as I was giving her a good night hug she said, "My birthday is over already!"

     


As much as the children anticipate their birthday, the day brings a lot of sadness with it. Naturally they think of their birth parents and wonder if their parents are thinking of them on their birthday. Kiana was hoping against hope that her birth mom would call. Her spirits drooped more and more as the hours passed without a phone call.

As an adoptive parent it is tough to stand by and see your child grieving and feeling unloved because the person who is called to love and nurture them is missing. Dean and I poured love into Kiana yesterday but it wasn't enough, there is only one person who could fill the void. 


Just before Kiana was ready for bed, I received a text from her birth mom. I asked if she would like to talk to Kiana and she jumped at the opportunity. When Kiana realized who I was talking to, her face lit up. Kiana and her birth mom had a good chat and Kiana went to bed with the ache in her heart gone. Of course that wasn't the end of the story as those of you who have children with trauma will understand.



Kiana's smile when she realized her birth mom was on the phone.


Kiana listening to her birth mom sing Happy Birthday to her. 

Being an adoptive parent has placed me in many situations. There was a time when I wouldn't have been able to imagine the joy watching my daughter talking to her birth mom would bring to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from my readers!